Friday, April 19, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me!


 
Rick Savage
Previously:  Some sort of Bold took over me.  Sounds like a song lyric, doesn't it?  I approached Rick Savage, the extremely talented bassist for Def Leppard and showed him my pick necklace.

At that point, I left him to his conversation and talked to the woman, Nancy, at the bar.  We got along fine, she didn't think I was creepy and I joined her. 

During our second glass of wine--a very nice Petite Syrah--I wondered if I could get a picture with Sav, since I had my iPod in my pocket.

He politely declined for the moment, as he was deep in conversation with his companion, but perhaps when they finished.

I accepted that graciously (I hope) because really, I know they must get tired of being approached by strangers.  Didn't I recently finish a novel that deals with just this sort of thing?  Yes. 

So I returned to the bar where Nancy and I continued to converse.  A company of three, to whom she had been talking before, were on the other side of her and they were a lot of fun.  As they were leaving, Nancy told them I was on my own, and it was my birthday.  One of the three was having her birthday as well, and none of us were exactly reticent about it--right in front of Sav. 

But I did have the sense to sit with my back to him and I didn't turn around to look at him while talking with Nancy.  He could've easily slipped out and I wouldn't have known.  I almost expected it, and I wouldn't have thought any less of him.  I may have been disappointed, but such is life, eh?

My conversation with Nancy covered many different subjects including dogs, pets in general, husbands and aging parents among other things. 

Imagine my surprise when a touch on the shoulder revealed Sav's companion who said, "Let's do this thing, but discreetly."

Wow!  We went into an adjacent, but unpopulated area and Sav's friend took two pictures with my iPod.  I wanted to squeal and jump for joy, but I didn't.  For once, I didn't become a victim of my unbridled enthusiasm, a la Billy Mumfrey.

"Do me a favor, will you?" Sav asked me.

Anything, I wanted to say, but "Sure," came out of my mouth.

"Keep this to yourself, okay?  I don't want to see it on Facebook."

Being a part of the Lepp Nation on Facebook, I certainly understood that.  I told him I hadn't even been able to connect with the Internet from my room and he was glad to hear it.  So, he didn't actually ask me to promise I wouldn't, but to me, it was a promise and I will not post the picture on Facebook.  I won't post it here, either, because inevitably it will find its way to Facebook.

(Sidenote:  One of my friends used his Photoshop to exchange the original background of the pictures with a picture of Def Leppard onstage, making it look like Sav and I are standing in front of the stage.  My friend didn't know about the promise and it was on Facebook for about an hour before I saw it and panicked.  He took it down when I called him.  *grin*  He did a great job though, and an 8X10 print of it will look fantastic in the stairwell going up to the gameroom, next to the one of me and Eric Johnson in 2005.  That was another smile I held onto for weeks afterward.)

Eric Johnson and me
2005






No comments: